Time commitment: 8-10 hours/month Term Length: 2 years
ART STARTS charity creates vibrant Toronto neighbourhoods through community-building arts initiatives. We bring professional artists and communities together to work in and across all artistic disciplines. We use the arts to engage residents, nurture resiliency, cultivate life skills and inspire personal growth amongst children, youth, adults and seniors living in under-served communities. To learn more, check out our YouTube videos at ArtStartsTO.
The Art Starts’ Board of Directors is recruiting an experienced board member who would also serve as Treasurer. This is an opportunity to serve an important and high-profile role on an active and collaborative board. We are looking for a Treasurer whose responsibilities would include:
- Financial Reporting and Analysis: Working with Art Starts’ Board Executive Committee in analyzing situations with financial acumen; liaising with external auditor in the preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements;
- Internal Controls: Provide guidance to the Executive Director, Bookkeeper and Director of Operations to ensure that accounting and reporting processes abide by ‘best practice’ standards;
- Financial Management: Helping to establish appropriate performance metrics (financial and non-financial) appropriate to the organization’s strategic direction.
- Board Leadership: Serving an active, collaborative role on the Board; chairing the Finance Committee; providing advice on various strategic issues; and representing the organization to community leaders and the public.
- General Responsibilities: Attending bi-monthly board meetings, sits on the Board’s Finance and Executive Committees, and actively contributing to the vibrancy of the organization.
This appointment would be for a two-year term, renewable for up 3 terms total. The ideal candidate would demonstrate:
- Prior experience on a non-profit Board or other related governance experience;
- Professional accounting designation, CPA preferred;
- Expertise in finance and/or managerial accounting with 5+ years of experience;
- Experience with Canadian accounting standards for not-for-profit / charitable organizations under Part III of the CICA Handbook;
- Readiness to support fundraising for Art Starts through ideas, contacts and experience;
- Passion for the organization’s mission to serve and a very high standard of personal ethics;
- Strong communication and networking skills and success in working within a diverse team.
Interested candidates should apply with a resume and cover letter expressing interest
ATTN: Art Starts Board, firstname.lastname@example.org