The Video Maker will oversee the documentation of Art Starts programming and events through photography and video. Through the creation of photographic archives and video shorts, the Video Maker will help Art Starts communicate the incredible stories of artists and communities working together across the city.
This position is partially funded through the Canada Summer Jobs program. Eligible applicants must meet the following criteria established by the funder:
• be between the ages of 15-30 years at the start of employment
• must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment; and, • have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
Due to COVID-19, Art Starts currently adheres to a work from home policy. More information to be provided during the interview stage.
SCOPE OF WORK
• Reporting to the Program Director, oversee the photo and video documentation and editing with a focus on Art Starts events and creative arts programs
• Produce and edit video shorts documenting Art Starts’ programs and events
• Document program activities through high quality photographs
• Collects b-roll footage of programs as well as interviews
• Transport, set-up, and operates various production equipment including cameras, audio and video recorders, lighting equipment, props and microphones for location production
• Sustain and guide creative process
• Schedule photo and video shoots in Art Starts neighbourhoods across the city
• Coordinate the sharing of photo and video documentation with program participants & their families
• Support program and event evaluations: distributing evaluation questionnaires to program participants, helping them answer the questions and conducting sound and/or video surveys to determine participant satisfaction and collect testimonial
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• Some post-secondary education preferred
• Demonstrated experience with photography and/or video production
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
• Ability to tell engaging, thoughtful and concise stories under minimal supervision
• Competency in the use of video and/or photo editing software (e.g. Premiere, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, After Effects, Motion, Light Room)
• Prior experience working in a community context is an asset
• An understanding and appreciation for the role of the arts in community building
• Ability to work independently and manage a variety of tasks concurrently
• Dedicated, enthusiastic & responsible with superior organizational skills and detail orientation
• Strong interpersonal and communications (verbal and written) skills
• Strong team player
• Independent access to video editing software and own equipment is a plus
• Candidate must be available to do occasional evening and weekend work and work flexible hours
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Art Starts creates vibrant Toronto neighbourhoods through community-building arts initiatives. We inspire long-term social change by using the arts to engage residents, collectively work to overcome challenges and create a shared sense of identity. Our collaborative approach to art-making celebrates communities, nurtures resilience, cultivates life skills and inspires personal growth. Established in 1992, Art Starts is recognized as one of Toronto’s leading community arts organizations. The Toronto Arts Foundation recognized Art Starts with its Arts for Youth Award.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit resume and cover letter (in one document) with Video Maker listed in the subject line to email@example.com. The recruitment and interview process during the COVID 19 pandemic will be conducted virtually. We regret that only those applicants to be interviewed will be contacted.
No phone calls please. Art Starts is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in the workplace. If you require accommodations during the hiring or interview process please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your request.