Join Art Starts’ Community On Board!
These are exciting times in community arts!
At Art Starts, we believe that community arts programming should be community-driven and we are looking for community champions to join us on the Board of Directors! The Community On Board program aims to connect Art Starts community members with the opportunity to gain skills through a volunteer board training opportunity. Members from the communities served through Art Starts programming will have a chance to serve on the Board of Directors and learn about board governance.
Art Starts charity creates vibrant Toronto neighbourhoods through community-building arts initiatives. We bring professional artists and communities together to work in and across all artistic disciplines. We use the arts to engage residents, nurture resiliency, cultivate life skills and inspire personal growth amongst children, youth, adults and seniors living in under-served communities. To learn more check out our YouTube videos at ArtStartsTO.
Art Starts is looking for individuals who have an interest in the arts-based community development and with the following experience and competencies:
- Prior interest or experience on a non-profit Board or other related governance experience
- A passion for social justice and a very high standard of personal ethics
- Strong communication and networking skills and success in working within a diverse range of community members.
Community on Board participants are expected to meet these requirements:
- Live or work in one of the communities served through Art Starts programming such as the following neighbourhoods: Lawrence Heights, Neptune, Eglinton-Oakwood, Glendover and Chester Le & Villaways
- Demonstrate leadership potential
- Participate to the full extent in board meeting by asking questions, seeking opportunities, and providing ideas and feedback
- Adhere to Art Starts policies, procedures, and codes of conduct
- Attend the required board meetings per year
- Participate on Art Starts committees
- Share Art Starts programming with the community
- Provide feedback to Art Starts about how to better engage the community
Art Starts commitment to Community on Board participants:
- Participants will be matched with a mentor on the Board who will support their effectiveness and deepen their level of engagement
- Participants will receive $50 per meeting to cover expenses
- Applications will be accepted until midnight on April 28, 2023.
- Candidates selected for interviews will be contacted during the week of May 19, for interviews by video call from May 19 to June 16, 2023.
- We will ensure that all candidates will receive communication about the status of their application.
Please apply through this link: